General GuidelinesThe Cortland Review does not accept simultaneous submissions or previously published work. To have your work considered, please follow our general guidelines:
- Submit 3-5 poems at a time.
- Fiction: Submit one story only, and nothing longer than 3500 words.
- Please do not submit more work if we are still considering your previous submission.
- Do not query; we are currently accepting unsolicited submissions.
- Include a cover letter with some biographical information.
- Make sure your entire submission is submitted in one online submission form.
- All work should be single-spaced.
- Do not use ALL CAPS, even for titles.
- For postal submissions: always include a SASE.
- Please note that we no longer accept unsolicited submissions via postal mail Please read the fine print below for more information.
Please query first before submitting a book review as most of our reviews are solicited.
The Cortland Review reports within 6 months, sometimes earlier depending on the quantity of submissions we receive. Editors seldom comment on rejections. Writers accepted for publication receive pre-publication galleys. We cannot afford to provide payment for work accepted.
Ready to submit your work?
First, read the fine print below. Then click "Submit My Work Now" to submit your work with our new easy-to-use Online Submission Form.
By submitting material to The Cortland Review, you affirm that you have read and agree to all our submission guidelines. These guidelines are subject to change without notice.
By submitting your work, you affirm that you are the sole author, and maintain all rights for your work. You also affirm that this work has not been simultaneously submitted and/or previously published elsewhere Online, in print, or any other medium. If your work is accepted for publication, The Cortland Review acquires the rights to publish and reproduce your material (text and audio) in Online, cassette, and CD/CD-ROM multimedia format. After publication, rights revert back to the author.
The Cortland Review reserves the right to discard without notice those submissions that do not follow our guidelines.